Most of a person’s daily decisions are associated with the choice of goods and services. According to a study by Brian Wansink (American professor specializing in consumer behavior), the average American makes about 200 decisions about food every day. In Ukraine, this figure should be divided by 2, but it is still impressive.
When a client is faced with the question of choosing a new product, first of all he pays attention to the price-quality ratio. If the product is a novelty on the market, and the consumer does not know anything about quality, then An attractive design becomes a decisive factor for a trial purchase. A person does not know about the taste of sweets, natural ingredients and unusual recipes, if the manufacturer does not take care of the packaging design.
When developing packaging, it is worth building on the specifics of the market and the target audience of the product. Based on these factors, a unique selling proposition and positioning is created. The packaging design of chocolate and sweets depends on who the product is aimed at (children or adults), what price segment it belongs to (low, medium or premium), what positioning the product has (gift wrapping or for daily consumption), the type of packaging (cardboard or metal box, plastic bag, custom wrappers).
Please contact KOLORO to develop a packaging design for sweets. The company’s professionals will find an individual solution specifically for your product.
Designing candy packaging: 11 tips
1. Maintain harmony between product and packaging design. When creating a candy packaging design, it is important that it does not harm the product and shows its strengths. For example, “Lyra” chocolate bars. The package contains the minimum amount of text. The emphasis is on naturalness (the inscription in the center “from bean to tile”, the color of craft paper). An additional color (turquoise or dark brown) favorably sets off the packaging. An excellent example of the harmony of product and packaging.
2. Keep it simple. Simple designs can be striking. For example, the design of the box of Dottie’s Toffee contains only two colors and a minimum of details. At the same time, the design of the chocolate packaging looks stylish, the sweets are noticeable and do not get lost among other sweets.
3. Use all free space . When designing your cardboard packaging, use every inch of it. For example, the Pop Chop box design. When you open a box of lollipops, the person depicted on the etiquette opens his mouth. You can also decorate the inside of the box without leaving it white (as shown on the right).
4. Play and fool around. Children are a significant part of the target audience for sweets. Therefore, playful packaging design is especially important when designing candy packaging and labeling. We use boxes and bags with windows-muzzles and the creation of funny characters.
5. Consider the consumption situation. If the product is intended as a gift, it is worth considering this when developing the packaging design. The consumer is more likely to prefer a candy box that does not require an additional gift wrap, bag or ribbon.
6. Drop the frames. Don’t be afraid to try new things, experiment with shapes and colors. For example, the concept of packaging design for Nerds sweets from Wonka. The design of the box of chocolates of irregular shape and juicy color will not allow you to pass by such chocolates.
7. Use different textures. The tactile feeling the consumer experiences when touching the packaging is of great importance when choosing a product. The weight of the package, the naturalness of the materials and their quality – all this should be taken into account when developing the design of the box of chocolates. For example, a pack of Arctic lollipops.
8. Put a story on your packaging. Packaging can be more than just sleek or stylish. It can become part of the game, tell the story of a brand or product. For example, nougat from Torroni. Each of the tiles has its own field with individual illustrations. They are outside and inside. If you put them together, you get one drawing. They have a lot of details that can be considered for a long time and intently.
9. Consider a double benefit. People love to reuse boxes and packaging. By making the box attractive, the customer may not want to throw it away and find another use. And the company logo will remain in his house along with the box.
10. Emphasize brightness. Besides children being the main target audience, candy is also associated with childhood. That is why most of the candy boxes are bright, with colorful characters and fabulous illustrations.