A restaurant is, first of all, an atmosphere. People come here to relax and unwind, enjoy delicious and beautifully served food, and celebrate an important event. The design of the restaurant is one of the most important elements that creates this atmosphere.
The design of a restaurant must correspond to the spirit of the institution. It must be ergonomic and conceptual, emphasizing the peculiarity of a particular place. For this, there must be an idea around which the positioning of the establishment is built. There are several factors that can be considered when developing a design for a cafe or restaurant.
- Cuisine. If a restaurant positions itself as French or Italian, the interior and exterior may hint at this. Ethnicity in the design can be from 10 to 15 percent. In the development of design, one should avoid “cranberries” – stereotypical ideas about the country.
- Target audience of the restaurant . Who is your establishment for? Who do you see as your clients? The interior design for a trendy bar and a hipster cafe will be very different from each other. The task of the restaurant design is to highlight the features. The guest must come once and want to stay.
- Location of the establishment . Eating by the sea or overlooking it requires a light weightless design. In the historical center of the city and beautiful old buildings, the interior in the style of a retro coffee house looks great. In the middle of the business center of the city, cafes and restaurants are prim and laconic. Successfully beating a building is a talent. In the sleeping area, you can make an excellent bar that will help you escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and emphasize the tranquility of this place.
- Idea. Sometimes a design is needed for a place that is already something special at the concept stage. For example, a coffee shop that specializes in non-standard methods of making coffee, a cafe with a very narrow assortment (for example, only eclairs or cupcakes + coffee), a street food restaurant.
Mistakes when choosing a design concept for restaurants and cafes
1. Communications under the ceiling or open ceiling. The ventilation box, wiring for fire extinguishing systems and other pipes are left on the ceiling and not hidden. This solution is still popular and ubiquitous. Leaving communications is not recommended, despite the fact that it is much cheaper this way. Such a ceiling is not aesthetic, it rarely happens that it plays into the plus of the interior design of the restaurant as a whole.
2. Copying the interior you like or the interior of a popular establishment in order to achieve the same success. Consumers are not easy to fool and see the catch from afar. Most likely, it will not work to become popular with the help of such a maneuver, and the restaurant will remain a second-rate copy, another cliché.
3. Too much decor and extra accessories clutter up the space. Dust accumulates in them, such interiors are difficult to clean. People quickly get tired of the abundance of objects. Also, this decor often interferes with movement, as visitors touch it when moving.
4. Fake graffiti and graffiti and graffiti that turns out to be wallpaper is an unfortunate approach to restaurant interior design. The filthiness of the institution should be emphasized not by imitation, but by high-quality implementation. You can call street artists to create graffiti. Real brickwork will look much better than fake.
5. Quality. The main problem may not even be an element of decor, but an unprofessional approach to performing the work in general. It is worth being attentive to the details, carefully writing down the technical assignment and the estimate, breaking down the process into stages, and assigning people responsible for each stage. This will help to make the project as high quality as possible.
6. Convenience. Space is an important factor in the design of a cafe or restaurant. The aisle between the tables should be wide enough so that two people can freely pass each other.
To this point, we can add summer grounds and the tradition that exists in Ukraine: to build monumental terraces that hinder the passage of people and capture public spaces. Summer terrace is tables and chairs , not awnings made of wood and plastic. This approach is correct and widespread in the civilized world.
Trends in the design of restaurants, bars and cafes
Fashionable interior design is a very fleeting concept. Trends may change quarterly (overseas). Therefore, when choosing a concept for an establishment, it is recommended to be based not only on the latest fashion trends, but also on the general idea of a cafe or restaurant. Each place has a different cuisine, approaches to business, people who work there, and the design only helps to highlight these features.
Recently, natural materials and industrial motives prevail in interior design. The fashion for simplicity and light roughness has brought with it a technical negligence, which is difficult to attribute to the original idea.
Brooklyn style in the design of restaurants, bars and cafes is chosen for its cheapness and simplicity. However, for the same price, you can make a design in a different style, which will not be worse. Now they are gradually moving away from this style and paying attention to new trends.
Another trend in recent years in restaurant design is rooms with common tables and a minimum of partitions , secluded places, especially for bars. Someone finds advantages in this, because people come to the bar to communicate. Not everyone likes these techniques. Many refuse them and do not even consider the possibility of decorating a restaurant in this style.
Recent years have brought more air , and the cluttered, heavy interiors with the philosophy of “cozy”, “everything and more” are being replaced by more fresh and simple ones, with a minimum of decor and a maximum of light. For the minimalistic design of a cafe, bar or restaurant, high-quality furniture and decoration are especially important.
Sometimes the interior is built around one idea. For example, at the trendy London art bar, The East Bar, the design is tied to the wall – a huge paint job and a chandelier that shines on the walls.
Another important trend in the interior design of cafes and restaurants is the return of color. Purple, lavender, mint, plum, coral and blue-green tones. Designers are very happy about this, as they are a little tired of pastel, beige, nude and black and white tones.
The interior design of bars and restaurants is greatly influenced by contemporary art. Not only galleries with trendy artists, but also popular culture. Many designers draw inspiration from the younger generation, because today it is teenagers who create trends.
Also objects of art are returning to interior. Paintings, panels, sculptures – now they can be found more often. A combination of styles and eras is popular. Collaborations of futuristic shapes with the traditional solution of planes have become a fashionable trend. For example, ultra-modern sofa designs combined with classic moldings.
These are just a few of the main trends in the design of restaurants and cafes today. A couple of years ago the trend of “fashion for everything” was born. It started with the catwalks where there are no more rules. Men can wear skirts, and a transgender advertises MAC cosmetics. Designers release unisex collections, and the catwalk is no longer a place where girls with size “0” rule.
Everything is interconnected and restaurant interior design is no exception. Here, too, everything is possible and there are no rules, in fact. The main thing is to do the work masterfully , conscientiously, to feel the atmosphere of the place and the spirit of the times. This decision is the right one for a high-quality result – a restaurant you want to return to.
This is exactly the approach taken by the branding agency KOLORO. Contact us and your restaurant or cafe will become the place everyone will talk about.